3.24.2008

More Coffee...

Today starts a new week for me so I am again at Kennedy Coffee just hanging out with God. As I began, I noticed an angry woman in a minivan who was chasing down a guy on a cell phone who apparently wronged her somehow related to traffic, parking, or something. I realize how easily people lose control of their emotions about something so small. I think the better description for what we do is "loose" our emotions. We can all choose to control our emotions in stressful situations, or we can choose to relinquish our control and allow our emotions to rule us. Today's parking lot situation involved harsh language and hand gestures, but what an opportunity missed to share the love of Christ!

Speaking of a missed opportunity, I visited Chris and Desiree in Little Rock at UAMS this weekend and had very good intentions of visiting Chris and Ryan Mondy in Arkansas Children's Hospital. I ultimately waited too late on Friday to visit Ryan, and was preoccupied with getting home for other responsibilities on Saturday. Although we spent some quality time with our kids at the zoo and thoroughly enjoyed the day, I didn't drive over to Children's. I thought that since we will be back in the area next weekend for a band event, I would try to go see him then. Unfortunately, I checked my email last night and learned that Ryan lost his battle with cancer early yesterday morning. His dad and I were childhood friends and classmates in Sunday School at Black River GBC, and haven't been in touch for many years, but I felt for their family as they went through this time in their life. I have prayed for them daily and rejoiced with the early news that Ryan's tumor had disappeared. This had to be God's work!!! Then I was saddened to hear that there was another tumor and that treatments were being ineffective. How could this be??? Why one miracle then a couple weeks later find out that Ryan was still in danger? Now, I am sorrowful that I never made the effort to comfort the family as they fought this battle. I am ashamed that I did not make the effort to share Christ's love with them, even if it was just a friendly visit. Father, forgive me for another missed opportunity.

Have another drink of coffee...

No comments: